Monday, April 25, 2011

Slow Cooking Pulled Pork

It was a quiet Easter Sunday and since I don't have family obligations anymore I wanted to make a no fuss dinner that could be great leftovers too. I decided to make Pulled Pork in the Crockpot and cook it low and slow which also meant I didn't have to worry about something being on the stove or burning in the oven. I took a huge piece of pork shoulder and mixed up a spice rub.

The spice rub I used contained the following ingredients:

Brown Sugar
Paprika
Cayenne
Garlic Powder
Onion Flakes
Thyme
Salt
Pepper
Dry Mustard


You can use any combination of spices according to your taste but this is what I mixed up.

I rubbed the pork shoulder and put it into an already heated Crock pot and then covered the meat with chicken stock, that's what I had but beef stock would be good too or if you like you could add Beer or whatever kind of liquid just to give it something to cook in.

I added a few drops of liquid chipotle and some tabasco sauce and just let it cook low and slow for about 4 - 5 hours or until the meat would just seperate without a knife. I then shredded the meat with 2 forks and added a bit of bbq sauce to moisten it up and give it a last bit of flavour. I would have made my own bbq sauce but I was too lazy so just do what you want and as long as you use good spices and ingredients and cook it for a long time it will come out great.

I was going to make a pulled pork sandwich but since I didn't have any buns I decided to make corn grits instead since that only takes a few minutes to cook.

Not sure where this Southern Comfort cooking craving is coming from but guess it's my go to food at the moment.

I seem to be gravitating towards simple, hearty and comfort feeling food. Must be the weather and my mood lately. But you can't beat the taste of this stuff.

This is what a crock pot should be used for.

1 comment:

  1. Great use of pork. Tomorrow's Food on Friday is all about pork, if you would like to link in. Cheers

    PS It would be neat if you were following me back.

    ReplyDelete

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.