Monday, December 5, 2011

Wild Salmon - is it worth it?


Wild Salmon is a hard thing to find at every supermarket but is it worth the Hunt and the Price? I would have to say YES it is.

On my recent trip down to St. Lawrence Market I decided to pick up a piece of Wild Salmon because I know I need to include more salmon in my diet to get good Omega 3 Fatty Acids which are great for skin, hair and host of other good benefits for your body. It's kind of a super food. What's the difference between Wild Salmon and regular Salmon? A lot. Wild Salmon is a more sustainable process for one instead of farmed salmon which is just like the way the process all the cheap chickens. It's not good for the environment and it's not as good for you.

The other difference is in color and the most important factor is in taste.

This piece of salmon that I made was one of the best pieces of Salmon that I have had in a long time. I only bought one piece because I didn't want to freeze it or keep it in the fridge too long. The fresher the better.

I made it really simply and it tasted amazing.

This is how I made it:

1 Piece of Wild Salmon
Maple Syrup
Dijon Mustard
Oil
Salt
Pepper
Parsley
Lemon


In a flat bowl mix all of the ingredients except the oil and then place the fish into the marinade mixture. Let it marinate for 5 to 10 min. You don't need to marinate it very long because it will continue to cook in the marinade in the oven.

Place the salmon in an oven proof baking dish just big enough for the fish with a tiny bit of room around it. Pour the marinade over the fish and bake in a 350 Degree oven for about 15 minutes or depending on how thick the piece is just make sure it has a bit of spring back and the color has changed to a lighter color and the juices from the fat start to show up on top. Try not to over cook it.

As usual I am not giving you exact measurements because you can season to taste. If you like it sweeter use more maple syrup but if you like it spicy add more mustard and maybe some hot sauce or soy sauce to the marinade. It's up to you. As usual this is a guideline.

I always take an idea of a recipe and just wing it and then adjust it as it becomes a recipe i make more often. That way you always make stuff you like your way.

So experiment with the marinade but don't experiment with the type of salmon. Invest in Wild Salmon. Your body and tastebuds will thank you.

Get your Omega 3's on with some great Wild Salmon.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.