Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Tuna Tartare's perfect pair AvocadoT




This is one of my guilty pleasures. Tuna tartare with Avocado. They are a perfect pair together. One of my favourite places to get tuna tartare with Avocado is at Nota Bene on Queen St. West. A little appetizer plate of it costs $18 there and I could eat 2 of them easily.

Yesterday I was down at Harbourfront and decided to stop by the St. Lawrence Market and pick up some fish for dinner and I picked up some sushi grade Tuna and Salmon. On the drive home all I could think of was how much I wanted to make tuna tartare with Avocado and luckily I had the other ingredients to go into it.

As soon as I got home I quickly put things away so I could get to the good stuff.

What's in my version?

1 Avocado chopped in small pieces
1 squeezed lime
pinch of salt
1 tbsp. small red onion diced or shallots or green onion
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro


Tuna tartare:

About 2 to 3 inch thick piece of sushi grade Tuna. must be sushi grade to eat it raw.
! tsp or to taste of sesame oil.
I used a combo of black and white sesame seeds with salt seasoning.

What I did to assemble it.

I used a ring and first put some of the avocado mix in the bottom of the ring followed by some of the tuna mix and then more avocado and another layer of tuna and then some of the cilantro.

You can also make it spicier by adding a quarter of a jalapeno pepper finely diced or even adding some wasabi, tabasco or saracha paste. I used the paste on the plate.

I attempted to make it pretty like they do in the restaurants just for this blog post but I used the second half of the piece of tuna and I just mixed it all in a bowl.

I ate them with some great President's Choice Habanero Lime tortilla chips. At Nota bene they make it a little different and I think they use other flavourings and they serve it with a couple of taro chips.

I like them both... Sushi grade Tuna is my guilty pleasure because I know that tuna isn't the best environmental choice but it tastes like butter when mixed with Avocado. It's just light yummy goodness. It doesn't taste fishy, it just tastes very satisfying.

Try it at home or try it in a restaurant but just try it if you like Tuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.