Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day Soup

Vegetable Soup


It's hard not to waste food when you try to buy Organic Foods and cook for One so I decided to make a soup today in honour of Earth Day. I had greens and other vegetables that were on the verge of starting to go bad and I am getting tired of throwing out food that has gone bad so I decided to make a huge pot of soup to preserve the vegetables that I had on hand and divert them from going into the garbage instead.


  
My Earth Day Soup Contains:

Red Cabbage
Red Onions
Garlic
Celery
Potatoes
Collard Greens
Baby Spinach
Swiss Chard
Fresh Thyme
Bay leaves
Salt
Pepper
Saffron threads
Chili flakes
tomato paste
Red pepper and a splash of red wine vinegar



 This is what I had in my fridge that I thought would go together well and make a tasty soup. I had broccoli but decided to skip that. But you can use whatever you have on hand that you like. I am not going to bother to list quantities because the purpose of this soup is to use what you have so that you don't waste food. We throw away half of the food we buy each year. You know when your mother used to say "there are people starving in Africa", well unfortunately that's true. Because of global warming and the declining economy and the abuse of the farming lands on the planet we will all have to think about food security one day. For me it's a matter of economics and concious. I can't afford to throw away food and I feel bad throwing away food when I know that there are people that can't afford to eat healthy meals. Make some Earth Day Soup and pass it around if you can.

 Freeze it, share it, Eat it...but don't waste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.