Monday, July 16, 2012

Zucchini pancake goodness





I had some zucchini that I picked up at the farmer's market and I was trying to decide what to make considering the heat wave we have been having in the city I wanted to make something that wouldn't take too long or use the oven.  I decided to make zucchini fritters or pancakes, latke style.   I love zucchini this way.  I think it really brings out the zucchini flavour and the crunchy exterior with the creamy interior is so good paired with some cooling sour cream.  This is my recipe for them:

Ingredients:                                         

3 zucchinis
1 tsp nutmeg
2 green onions
pinch of chili flakes
1 tbsp parsley
1/4 cup of flour
1 tsp baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of grated parmesan
1 egg
3 tbsps oil

Sour Cream 

Directions:

Wash, trim ends and grate the zucchini's on a box grater on the coarse side.  Put the zucchini shreds in a colander over a bowl or put in cheesecloth or you can even use a clean tea towel.   Add salt to the zucchini and let the zucchini release the juices or let it strain for about an hour.  You can squeeze out the excess water by using the tea towel and wringing it out.  

In another bowl add 1 egg, 2 chopped green onions, chopped or dried parsley and then add the zucchini and mix.  Add the parmesan cheese.   Then add the flour baking powder, nutmeg and salt and pepper and nutmeg and chili flakes.  Add the flour last and gradually to see if you need more or less flour depending on the amount of moisture left in the zucchini.   You want  the consistency to be able to hold the zucchini fritters together so not runny but also not too dry so that it stays moist in the middle.  Once the mixture is mixed thoroughly heat up a non stick or cast iron skillet to high.  Add oil to the pan and turn the heat down to medium.   Add the zucchini mixture by tablespoonfuls and then flatten them out in the pan.  It should take a couple of minutes on each side.  If you cook them on medium you will be able to cook them through.   Once they are golden brown drain them on paper towels.   This amount makes about 12 fritters.  You can also keep them warm in the oven if you want to make more and serve for a large group or party.

Serve with Sour Cream.  You can be fancy and add parsley or chives or a garnish to serve individual plates or as an appetizer.   

It makes a great lunch and that's how I had them.  They are so light tasting but really satisfying.

Yum..  if you see some zucchini's at your local farmer's market try this recipe.




1 comment:

  1. I love zucchini fritters. I haven't made them this year but last year when I did make them, I also added corn niblet in them and on another occasion I added ricotta cheese. They are so versatile and always taste so good. I mean come on, it's fried food, it's going to taste great.

    ReplyDelete

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.