Sunday, June 16, 2013

Food memories on Father's Day

Today is Father's Day and I am thinking about my Dad Jacques who passed in 1984.

Most of my food memories come from the food my mother made but my Dad was the weekend cook because he liked certain things that my mother didn't make.  My dad was the one who did all the grocery shopping for the family and he is the one that taught me how to find my way around a grocery store and where to find a good deal.

My Dad loved bacon, eggs, cheese, cabbage rolls, those boil in bag packages of corned beef and all things charcuterie.

My dad taught me how to make some great scrambled eggs and most of the time he would start it and I would do the stirring and finish it.

This is one of my Dad's signature Scrambled Egg Dishes.   Scrambled eggs with cheddar and creamed cottage cheese. It's pretty easy to make.

  

JACQUES Cheesy Scrambled Eggs

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. creamed cottage cheese
1/4 cup of chopped or shredded cheddar cheese
3 whole eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a medium hot frying pan add the creamed cottage cheese and cook until some of the water has evaporated and then add the cheddar cheese.  Cook until it's creamy thick sauce consistency.   My dad sometimes used to use a regular frying pan and burn the cheddar cheese to make it crispy but it's hard to do that with a non stick pan so will skip that version and go for the creamy version.

You don't need to add butter or oil if you use a non stick pan because there is a lot of fat already in the cheeses but if your pans stick add a bit of butter.  

After the cheese is a creamy consistency beat the eggs and add to the cheese mixture.   Keep stirring to mix the cheese into the eggs and cook until the eggs are cooked.  You will end up with creamy eggs not solid scrambled eggs.   Add salt and pepper to taste at the end of the cooking process.  Adding salt to the eggs at the beginning will make them tighten up.   

If you want to jazz it up you can add some chives, parsley or paprika.   In the photo above I added some paprika on top.   My dad only added salt and pepper.  He liked simple foods.

Also pictured in the photo above is fried salami.  It's a great substitute for bacon if you get bored of the same old bacon and eggs.   

Eat it with a nice piece of crusty french bread.   I added some chopped tomatoes for garnish but you can also toss some into the eggs before they finish cooking.   That would be my spin and not my dad's so you can do whatever you like and make it your own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.