Sunday, March 9, 2014

Flour Power - the Great multi taking pantry staple

It always amazes me how many tried, true and universal recipes start with Flour.  It's like a magic ingredient.  You start off with a bag of white fluffy powder and mix a few basic ingredients into it and you end up with the most delicious things.

I never made bread at home growing up and once I turned 16 and got my license the thing I heard from my parents every few days was "go buy bread".  Well now that I live on my own and don't feel like going to the store just to buy a loaf of bread I can just make some kind of bread product as long as I have flour on hand and some other pantry ingredients like SALT, SUGAR, YEAST, BAKING POWDER, EGGS, MILK and BUTTER or OIL.  

You can make all kinds of things when you start with some combination of these ingredients.  I don't know the history of when bread started but I do know that there is some sort of bread type of recipe produced in every part of the world.  It really is the one thing everyone has in common.   We all know what bread like foods taste like.

Why is it now a Forbidden Food?  When everyone in the world eats it? It tastes so good and is affordable to everyone?  Well because greed and production have turned the healthy grain products that started these recipes into toxic, nutrient free substances.  You hear everyone saying we should stop eating all white foods.  So why did this appear on the earth in the first place.  I find it hard to believe that it is the evil food some people say it is.  The way I see it is that we should find a way to return the soil that produces the grains that produce flour back to the original state where the soil was nutrient dense which produced a healthy nutrient rich milled product.

Anyway I am not ready to give up my bread products and have been experimenting all year trying to make different things.

I have made the following things that started with the base of flour:



  1. White Bread Loaf
  2. Pita Bread
  3. Biscuits
  4. Pancakes
  5. Gnocchi
  6. Pasta
  7. Cookies
  8. Pizza
  9. Pie



and there are many more recipes that I want to try.












                                   

I am not going to include the recipes in this blog post.  Some I have posted before and most recipes are available online because they are common recipes.  Teach your kids how to make bread recipes and they will never have to worry about what to eat for the rest of their life.  If you have never made bread, biscuits, pancakes, etc.  I would highly recommend trying to master at least one of your favourite recipes.  If you have to eat gluten free products try and experiment with gluten free flours until you find a recipe you can whip up at anytime.   There is nothing more satisfying than making bread.  You produce this incredible thing from a few simple ingredients and it perfumes your home with the sweet smell of a home baked good and tasty food.

So these are some of the things I have cooked or baked using flour in the past year. 
 Let's see what you can do?


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.