Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Food Revolution December Challenge - BBQ Sauce


 Food Revolution Ambassador December Challenge

Make your own Condiment

Starving Foodie Smokey Sweet BBQ Sauce



As a Food Revolution Ambassador we receive monthly newsletters from the Jamie Oliver organization with monthly challenges and things they would like us to do as Ambassadors.  For December one of the Super Ambassadors Alex had a suggestion for us to make our own condiment.  I suppose it could be a dressing, a cranberry sauce, ketchup or whatever.   I decided to make a BBQ sauce because I had loads of hardened brown sugar I needed to do something with.  I have a pretty full pantry of things so I just used whatever I actually had on hand.  I would have liked to add cumin but I just sorted out old spices and have to do an inventory of what's missing now.

I like smokey BBQ sauces and one of my favourite spices are chipotle and smoked paprika so that's what I used to give it a BBQ smoke flavour.  You can control what you like and don't like and the amount of sugars, salts and preservatives and chemicals that would go into making these sauces.  I like to reduce the salts but like it full of flavour and slightly sweeter.  I added a few other things to the sauce besides the ones in the photo above.   Recipe below.


STARVING FOODIE SMOKEY BBQ SAUCE

Ingredients:
1 tbsp canola oil or other vegetable oil
½ chopped medium onion
1 cup brown sugar
1 ½ tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp honey
5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 oz. Jack Daniels whisky or similar
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp ground chipotle pepper
3 tsp dry mustard or regular mustard
1 tbsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp smoked paprika
½ tsp ground black pepper

Directions:
In a saucepan on medium heat add the Canola oil and when it’s hot add the diced onions.  Cook until translucent.  Add the salt and spices and mix until you smell the spices.   Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on medium low for about 20 to 30 minutes until it thickens up and flavours are released.
Let cool and store in a Mason Jar or squeeze bottle in the fridge.  If you leave the onions out you can store for a longer time.


Recipe:
I used it on cubes of chicken that I sautéed.  Cut up chicken breast in cubes and add salt and pepper.  Saute in a frying pan until there is a golden brown color.  Lower the heat and add a tablespoon or 2 of the BBQ sauce and then just heat until it coats the chicken and is thoroughly cooked through and hot.
Super easy and quick.  I had it with a quick boiled peas and some coleslaw but you can get more creative with rice, mashed potatoes, polenta or other vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.