Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Healthy Workplace Potluck


My job that pays my bills is a day job and since last April I have been on a contract at the Ministry of Labour.  This is my 3rd time with the Ministry of Labour and I like working there because they are the people that create Healthier Workplaces.  With safety, ergonomics, and other policies that are created to look out for workers.

I decided to join our departments Healthy Workplace Committee.  I have never had a chance to do this before and I am very glad that I can participate in this and come up with ideas that relieve stress and build the culture in the Ministry.

As a committee we come up with ideas of things we can do during the lunch hour such as Potlucks, walks, talks and team building ideas.

Since it was February which is Heart Month I suggested that we do a Heart Healthy Potluck.  My fellow committee members liked the idea because generally most of the people in the office are big food lovers.

It's a really busy time in the office with a lot of transition so it was small but mighty lunch.  I am not sure why any of the men in the department didn't participate?  Was it the healthy part or the potluck part?  We will get them to participate more somehow.


My participation in the Potluck included a Carrot Salad, Loaf of Country Bread and some Meringues that I had from my last party.

There were lots of hummus, baba ganoush and crackers and lots of carrots it seemed.  You are a bit limited with office kitchens and time but everything still tasted great and we got a chance to take a bit of time out and connect with each other away from our cubicles.  You connect with people from different departments that don't usually work together.  You find out what's new that you didn't know about from others.

My carrot salad was a hit and here is the recipe if you want to make it for your next workplace Potluck or for your family or friends.


Harissa Carrot Salad

3 carrots (grated)
1/2 lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp Harissa paste or spices (I got mine at Loblaws)
1 Tbsp chopped parsley.  I used fresh but you can use dried.
1 Chopped Green onion
*optional toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) on top

Directions:

Peel and grate the carrots on a box grater with the large holes.    Place in a bowl.
In a mason jar add all of the rest of the ingredients except for the pepitas.

Add the lid to the jar and mix well and pour over the carrots until it's lightly dressed and tossed.
Add the toasted pepitas on top.

*Optional.  you can also add chopped garlic to the dressing but you don't need it really.

You can serve it cold or at room temperature.  Perfect for Potlucks.


Other things that are great for Potlucks include:

  • Potato salad with vinaigrette instead of mayonnaise.
  • Hummus, tzaziki and baba ganoush with pita chips
  • Devilled eggs but don't leave them out long if there is mayo in them.
  • All kinds of veggies and assorted dips.
  • Fruit salads
  • Meringues because they are light and easy to store.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.

Comments system

Disqus Shortname