Saturday, March 17, 2018

St. Patrick's Day Green Chicken and Potatoes



 GREEN CILANTRO CHICKEN with Green Peas and Potatoes

 It's St. Patrick's Day today so I was inspired to make some Green Food and also because of a bunch of Cilantro in my fridge that I needed to use so I created this pretty simple nod to St. Patty's Day Dinner.

I started with a Green Marinade for a couple of bone in skin on chicken breasts.

Green Marinade:

1 bunch of fresh Cilantro
1 peeled shallot
2 tbsps olive oil
1 pickled jalapeno
zest of 1 lime and the juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Blend all of the ingredients in a blender and then pour into a large ziploc bag and place the chicken in the bag and distribute the marinate around the chicken and squeeze out the air and seal the bag and place on a plate and refrigerate for about an hour or so.


I Baked it using a cast iron grill pan so that air would circulate underneath the chicken.  Preheat the oven to 350F and bake for about 40 minutes and check the temperature because of the marinade you won't be able to check by the color of the chicken.

Green Peas and Potatoes

I also peeled and boiled 1 potato in salted water and then just before they were cooked I added frozen peas to the water to cook.

Strain the potatoes and peas when cooked and then saute in a skillet with butter and salt and pepper.  I also aded some chicken smaltz and you could add bacon fat if you have some.  You could also add some garlic but I kept it kind of simple.  Cook until there is a bit of color on the potatoes and the butter is melted and browned.

I also made my new favourite pepper, some blistered Shisito peppers.
In a dry pan on medium heat place some Shisito peppers and cook until the skin starts to blister.
I poured some Sherry Vinegar on them when I took them out of the pan for some acidic balance.


And that was it.   My Green inspired St. Patrick's Day dinner can also be made to celebrate Earth Day too.   Either way it's a very flavourful and fairly simple dinner.   Even better if you have someone to do the dishes afterward,  sadly I do not so I have to try and keep it simple.   I charred the peppers before I sauteed the potatoes and peas to save a pan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post Spam links in this comments section they will be deleted.